Good for dinner, serve with rice.
- 2 lbs fresh okra or 2 lbs frozen okra
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb lamb (stew meat size)
- 3large chopped tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1large chopped onion
- 6 diced garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil or 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups water
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 plum tomatoes
- Wash okra and trim off stems, and cut them and dry.
- Sprinkle okra with oil and place under broiler until lightly browned or fry in vegetable oil until lightly browned (do not use same oil for browning meat).
- Sauté chopped onions, diced garlic, lamb meat, salt, and spices in olive oil(stirring occasionally) until meat is lightly browned.
- Add water and stir, bring to boil and then cover and cook on low heat until meat is tender.
- Add browned okra, chopped tomatoes or (28 oz can diced tomatoes) and ½ cup fresh cilantro or 1 teaspoon termeric.
- Mix well, cover and simmer until okra is tender.
- This meal is excellent when served hot with rice.